|Monday, August 31, 2009 02:52 PM|
| by Fëanor|
Fëanor pours the entire internet into the Recyclotron, and only the best links come out the other end for you to enjoy.
- The big news on the internet today is Disney buying Marvel. Here's the official Marvel press release on the story, a reassuring tweet on the subject from editor-in-chief Joe Quesada, and more details from Comic Book Resources. I have to say, despite the hands-off approach that Disney seems to be espousing in the latter link, this doesn't make me very happy. On the one hand, I'm pleased to see Marvel (probably my favorite comics publisher) get a lot of money and appreciation, and get access to the power and resources that a company like Disney can offer. But on the other hand, I'm worried that Disney will end up influencing the content that Marvel puts out in a very negative way. Even if Disney doesn't censor the books directly, the creators could end up censoring their work themselves due to perceived pressure from the corporate parent. Plus, are they going to try to integrate Disney characters into the Marvel Universe? In some cases, I can see how that could be fun (take MODUCK, for example, via & via), but it could also be really ridiculous and terrible. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
- The real drink recipes from Quark's Bar. (Via Camden)
- Wereworf is awesome (via), as is this guide to knowing your Spocks (via).
- We've often joked about putting a saddle on Floyd and getting someone to ride him, but apparently people used to actually do this to dogs. The jockeys? Monkeys! (Via)
- Pretty impressive custom-made Dollhouse figures. (Via)
- An Iron Man My Little Pony. Fantastic! (Via)
- Pfft. People are actually really upset that Ikea switched fonts in its latest catalog. (Via)
- Awesomely horrifying, or horrifyingly awesome? (Via)
- Really fantasy baseball. (Via)
- Starting this fall, Wikipedia will offer a new optional feature: "WikiTrust." With this turned on, every word of every entry will be color coded based on the reliability of the author and the length of time the text has persisted on the page.
- The Green Hornet's release date just got bumped from next July to the following December. I don't think that's a good sign...
- 100 important directors of animated short films. (Via)
- Trailers! Who doesn't love them? We have The Men Who Stare at Goats, Inception, and The Descent: Part Two. I'm of two minds about Goats. The premise, about a secret government project to create psychic soldiers, is certainly interesting, but the movie's a dark comedy, and it looks like the comedy occasionally falls flat. And if even the stuff they put in the trailer isn't funny, that doesn't bode well for the rest of the movie. Christopher Nolan's Inception, on the other hand, starring Leonardo DiCaprio, looks amazingly weird and fascinating. As for The Descent 2, it looks like they took everything interesting from the first movie and stripped it away, leaving just another lame movie about people getting torn apart by monsters in the dark. (Via)
- TxtNinja sounds handy. It turns text into images that are readable by people, but not by evil spambots. (Via)
- More cool custom toys: Beta Ray Bill as a Mighty Mugg, Playmobil Hellboyverse characters, and Star Wars bounty hunter Dunnies.
- More cool book cut art.
- Custom LEGO Star Wars ships.
- The Sprite logo used to be way cooler. (Via)
- Han Solo Adventures looks like it could be fun.
- A xenomorph on the toilet (via), and the alien queen in LEGO form.
- More details on Sucker Punch from star Jamie Chung. Also, a nice picture of Jamie Chung.
- Pretty cool fan-made concept version of the next Microsoft video game console.
- Dual screen laptops are on the way.
- This short takes a while to pay off, but it's pretty funny when it does.
- The top ten sci-fi deaths.
- Some cool steampunk projects.
- io9 lists 10 TV shows that should never be made into movies. A majority of these I've never even heard of.
- Cool Metropolis poster.
- An iTunes link to a free preview of Dollhouse, season 2. (Via)
- Ooh! A preview of Planetary #27! It's about time travel. (Via)
|Tagged (?): Alcohol (Not), Animals (Not), Art (Not), Cartoons (Not), Comic books (Not), Dogs (Not), Drink (Not), Internet (Not), Links (Not), Music (Not), News (Not), Photography (Not), Recyclotron (Not), Sports (Not), Star Trek (Not), Toys (Not), TV (Not), Video (Not), Video games (Not)|