|Friday, June 17, 2011 12:10 PM|
| by Fëanor|
Fëanor pours the entire internet into the Recyclotron, and only the best links come out the other end for you to enjoy.
- Empire Online lists the 22 most bad-ass beards in cinema. Nice picks!
- That is one fine teacup. Ia! Ia!
- Know those decals some people have in their car windows, featuring a cartoon depiction of each member of the family? Kinda cheesy, right? Here's a funnier, less cheesy spin on it.
- Mr. Dan Hipp celebrates the Green Lantern, and other green heroes and villains from throughout pop culture history. Speaking of Green Lantern, here's the Onion A.V. Club review of the new animated movie, and Ebert's review of the new live-action movie. Sounds like neither movie is all that great, but I still might have to watch them eventually, just because.
- Loving this Godzilla animated gif. (Via)
- Quentin Tarantino's western, Django Unchained, has a release date! It's December 25, 2012. Merry Christmas!
- The Academy is changing the Best Picture nomination process yet again so that there can now be anywhere from 5 to 10 nominees each year, depending on how many movies receive first place votes on 5 percent of total ballots cast. Wha? Why don't we just go back to 5, guys? That was working fine for a long time.
- Check out Sam Bosma's site - he's been doing sketches of characters from the Song of Ice and Fire books lately.
- This ad for the new Legend of Zelda game featuring Robin Williams and his daughter Zelda (who apparently was actually named after the princess) is pretty darn cute.
- A Pontiac built with an entirely transparent, Plexiglass exterior for the 1939 New York World's Fair is going up for auction and has been appraised at a price between $275,000 and $475,000. Click through for some awesome pictures.
- I'm mostly over impressive replicas of things in cake form, but this Millennium Falcon cake has working lights!!
- The Wolverine has a new director and it is James "Not Darren Aronofsky" Mangold. Hmm. I've seen a handful of Mangold's films. Of those, Cop Land was the only really good one. Identity and 3:10 to Yuma were both well done but had disappointing endings. So I guess we'll see!
- Watch the red band trailer for Attack the Block, which is a sci-fi/action/comedy featuring Nick Frost and South London hoodlums versus aliens. Fun! (Via Blastr, a site that cleverly got the movie's title wrong in its headline. Sigh.)
- The most bad-ass way to chop lettuce ever.
- The rotary mechanical smartphone.
- Another fun Super Punch image roundup. My favorite is the hipster Jesus sign. The whale shark thing is just horrifying.
- Amazing photograph of an Irish castle.
- In case you missed it when I posted it to Twitter, a gallery of amazing illustrations by Blade Runner concept artist Syd Mead. (Via)
- So what's all this Pottermore stuff about? It appears to be official, from J.K. Rowling herself, and the obvious implication is that we can expect more Harry Potter. Possibly it's just referring to an encyclopedia, which isn't all that exciting. But still... squee? Anyway, while we're talking Harry Potter, check out the latest trailer for the last movie. It is mighty exciting, and the emotional opening nearly made me break down at my desk here.
- I enjoyed this latest post from the mostly-quiet-lately defective yeti.
- Hee hee. More amusing (and not-so-safe-for-work) sketches from the mighty Kate Beaton.
- Did you see that Comic Twart is doing Princess Bride? Anybody want a peanut?
- Ooh, they've cast Bard and Smaug in The Hobbit! Benedict Cumberbatch, who made a very fine Sherlock Holmes in the recent BBC TV series, will play the part of the dragon. I'm not familiar with the dude playing Bard (Luke Evans), but he certainly looks the part.
|Tagged (?): Advertising (Not), Animals (Not), Art (Not), Automobiles (Not), Awards (Not), Books (Not), Celebrities (Not), Comedy (Not), Comic books (Not), Commercials (Not), Craft (Not), Food (Not), Gadgets (Not), Godzilla (Not), Green Lantern (Not), Harry Potter (Not), Kaiju (Not), Links (Not), Lists (Not), Monsters (Not), Movies (Not), News (Not), Oscars (Not), Phones (Not), Photography (Not), Products (Not), Recyclotron (Not), Song of Ice and Fire (Not), Star Wars (Not), Technology (Not), The Hobbit (Not), Tolkien (Not), Twitter (Not), Video (Not), Video games (Not), Web comics (Not), Wolverine (Not), Zelda (Not)|